Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pruning Help Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duffy View Drop Down

Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pruning Help Please
    Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 7:13pm
Hi pretty new to gardening but I have several Clematis which have all been planted in pots and brought from a garden centre this year all are against a fence / pagola, ideally I would like the clematis to cover the entire fence with lots of flowers in years to come.

Nelly Moser
The President
Arctic Queen
Niobe

I have the following questions

1) Can I prune all the clematis down to 1ft now as they have finished flowering Except the Niobe as that has a flower head on it. Or is it best to wait to feb and prune them all at the same time and how low can I cut them back to, and do I cut the actual main stems?

2)The old and new leaves have been eaten by something I have sprayed them with a bug spray no luck but seems to have no luck, i couldn't see anything under the leaves and the leaves where green (Off topic the same is happening to my wisteria )

3) I was told to plant the clematis so the root ball is on top and then protect it with stones, I have since read that this isnt a good idea when is the best time to repot them so the root ball is 3cm under the top of the soil?

many thanks for you help

Lloyd

Edited by Duffy - 09 Jun 2011 at 7:16pm
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 7:46pm

Dear Lloyd,

When I understand your information correctly the plants are still in pots.

You can prune your plants now, all you list, and forget the one flower of 'Niobe'. You can prune untill about half June and about a foot above soil level is okay. After pruning spoil the plants with water and a liquid fertilizer. This will help the plants to produce new growth now.

The eaten leaves are hard to say without a picture, but since you refer to Wisteria too perhaps vine weevil might be the eating bug.

When you plant the clematis in the garden, best is to plant them about 10 cm deeper as in the pot.

Good luck.
Wim
Wim S
Duffy View Drop Down

Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:37am
Hi thanks for that, the clematis will be staying in the pots as they are about 30cm wide and prob 40cm deep. and i don't have any flower beds lol,

I think it is the earwigs that are eating all the leaves as I went out last night and found a few. but can upload a picture later on today.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these, can i by a spray to remove them without damaging the plant?

What liquid fertilizer would you recommend?
 Post Reply Post Reply