Multi-Blue not growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi-Blue not growing
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 9:33am
Hey Roy
Check this link 'Multi Blue' grown in USDA zone 5
http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/clematis/9420-multiblue-still-blooming.html

Cheers Peer

yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:32am

Originally posted by Roy

There must be some differences between NZ and UK climes or soil types that enables us to grow Groups one and three with vigor, whereas you have stated previously that you struggle with some of these plants.

As you know NZ is a large as UK and naturally we have quite different climate from place to place (USDA Zone 6-11), the reason I can't grow Atragene is they do not get needed dormancy here in Zone 9.
The nutrient level on plants may be out of  order for Clem’s like MB, to much nitrate will make them frost tender (and grow to late in season) The other possibility is MB you got there is "inoculated" with a disease. This we found on the Rhodo 'Chicor' from Cox, they was all carrying build in Phytopthora, where we did find a healthy "strain" in Denmark there would survive.

We are really in Zone 9 1/2 and we have just had an extreme cold night minus 3.7deg CelsiusSmile coldest night for years, banana plants, Fuchsia's and Brugsmania's are quite burned, the Clematis just love it.

Edited by yaku - 27 Jul 2011 at 11:10am
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:26am
Hi Yaku,

I have said before my regime for planting and growing clematis has been refined over many years. Starting with planting, my soil has been well cultivated over the years with a twice per year mulch of garden compost in spring and autumn, therefore the soil is not lacking in humous which I feel is very important to the growth of most plants. On planting I add a good handfull of Blood Fish and Bonemeal in spring, or Bonemeal in Autumn. My group one and three plants do not receive or require any additional feed. Group two plants and those grown in pots receive additional feed in the form of Chempac Soluble fertilisers, either 2, 3, 4 or 8 according to season of the year. I have used Chempac as an additional fertiliser as it is available in formulas to promote growth, maintain growth and to encourage root and flower formation. It also contains additional ellements that plants need.

Over the years I have visited many gardens in the countries that you mention and a few more not referred to. I have yet to see a C. Multi Blue looking really healthy and full of flowers. Most gardens though did not grow Multi Blue, I wonder why? Maybe most double flowered clematis are like Pima-donnas and demand a lifestyle that the average gardener is unwilling or unable to provide, certainly I avoid these large showy group two flowered clematis, because in general they are  severely cut back by the late spring frosts that we suffer most years, even some viticella types are decimated by frost, but have the ability to grow back vigorously and flower as normal, whereas the group twos very often are not seen again or struggle to produce a one or two stems from below ground level and only produce the later single flowers. There is a balance of, feeding too much which produces soft growth which is likely to be cut by frosts and skimping on the feed which produces stronger growth that may survive, which is difficult to get exactly right. Over watering has never been a problem for me, being able to give enough water, at times is a struggle, when we have long periods without rain (8weeks this spring).

There must be some differences between NZ and UK climes or soil types that enables us to grow Groups one and three with vigour, whereas you have stated previously that you struggle with some of these plants.

There seems to be a growing trend amongst gardeners with experience in the UK to avoid group two plants, but it is also really noticeable that C. montana's over the last two years are disappearing from gardens in Cambridgeshire, this I believe was due to winters returning to normal cold temperatures, without the protection of snow, plants and roots were frozen to death.

Cheers

Roy

yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:40am

Hi Roy
I have seen the  plant grow fine in Denmark ,  Sweden, Germany and Holland and know it grow  well in USA when feed right in  young age, not "carrots or other vegi matters", but "meat" = mineral fertilizers as it lack the help from micro-organisms in it's young age. Some need the "vitamin'" in order to thrive!

NZ is quite similar to many areas in UK climate wise!

Cheers Peer

Edited by yaku - 14 Jul 2011 at 8:43am
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:01am
Hi,

I still believe this is a weak, tempremental plant and not one for the beginner.
It may well suit the climate in New Zealand where Yaku resides, but two thought to be healthy plants grown on into large pots and planted out in subsequent springs in our Cambridge garden, the first plant I fed with Chempak 4 and 8 up to mid August and watered regularly, as required because of dry weather. This plant failed to survive a fairly mind winter, with our normal rainfall. The next plant was planted in a different position in early spring, was given Blood Fish and Bone Meal on planting, as the plant was growing away strongly I did not give it any more feed that season and did not water it as the rainfall was way above our normal quota. This plant failed to survive a cool dry winter. During this period and beyond a C. "The President" growing in a neighbours garden, given no water or feeds was a mass of flowers every year.

Black leaves occuring low down towards the base of the plant maybe a natural occurrance, as they are only there to promote growth through exposure to sunlight. Leaves further up the plant will have taken over this task making these lower leave redundant, these can be cut off. If it if on the upper leaves then the stems should be cut back to one node below the blackenned leaves.
hkm View Drop Down

Quote hkm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm
I noticed some of the leaves have started turning black in places - is this a disease do you think?
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:53am

There is some interesting stories on 'Multi Blue' like "It's only meant to be grown as an annual" (that’s BS) it's a sport of 'The President' and there are no reason to believe it differ in hardiness, they need to be well feed in order to get started, here 'The President' may mature quicker and be able to look after itself earlier than 'Multi Blue', this may be like some men need live with mum for a few year longer. Some Clematis find quite quickly organisms to live in symbiosis with other take longer, they may be poor providers for the microorganisms there provide in an exchange (they may try to do it on a cheap, know some people do) I do know it's important to provide well (heavy feeding =twice as much as Roses demand) I do grow the org plants I got 15 years ago or so and have grown them in the thousands and people only ever complain about them when they take the smaller 1 years plants in 1.5litre pots (against rec.) instead what we call Prm. =“Grow Safe” those are 2 years well grown plants in 4.5litre pots. Our pots are PB=Plastic bags and not special deep (no need for deep pots, this often create to wet media in the bottom and poor root development) Late “Christo” Lloyd did suggest those as they could easily be cut off or slit the sides without risking breaking the Clematis stem.

So my recommendation in this chase prune the wilted part down to above lowest bud and feed well with an mineral fertilizer, and do not drown the plant!

Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:17am
Hi

I am afraid that in life there are some weaklings, in my experience you have purchased a weakling. I am possibly not the best person to advise you on cultivation of this plant having lost two C Multi-blues over winter a few years ago now. I replaced these plants with a viticella hybrid which in the exact same position grows to about 12 feet and is covered in a multitude of flowers every year.
hkm View Drop Down

Quote hkm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:48pm
Hello everyone,

I purchased a lovely multi-blue earlier this year, in bud and about 3 ft tall. I planted it in a well dug border next to a wall and added compost first. The plant flowered and was lovely, but now the flowers have died I was expecting to see some signs of growth. Should it be growing yet? I can't see ANY signs of new leaves etc. Do I need to cut of the old blooms? I've given it some general purpose feed, is there anything else I can do, or do I just wait?

I have another old white clematis I inherited with the house and it just does it's own thing. I cut it down last autumn to ground level and it's already 6 ft tall again, so not sure why the blue one isn't growing yet.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply