Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Help Clematis Wilt???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duffy View Drop Down

Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Clematis Wilt???
    Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 4:45pm
Hi, I have a clematis Nelly Moser, and the other day i noticed the leaves drooping, so i cut the stems back to just above ground level today i noticed another stem is drooping.

I was wondering if this is clematis Wilt, or some other problem with the plant, it is in a pot, I water it every day, sometime twice a day with this dry spell.

Thanks in advance
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:06am
Hi,

It is difficult to say for sure without seeing the plant itself. If this is happening to the odd stem and the collapse of the stem is seen to happen very quickly, it is likely to be Wilt. If the whole plant is looking stressed it could be that the plant is not content with its growing conditions. It may have used up all the goodness in the soil, become root bound, or maybe standing in a too exposed position. I have found that C. Nelly Moser is under normal conditions a very vigorous plant and under normal conditions does not usually be affected by wilt. Because it is fast growing it usually makes roots fairly quickly and therefore is only suitable for growing in a very large pot and may need repotting and top growth and root pruning on a fairly regular basis. Usually best done directly after it has finished its first flowering.

If it is Wilt all one can do is keep cutting out any affected stems. Spraying with a fungicide is recommended but there is no effective fungicide available to the amateur.

yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 11:04am

Originally posted by Duffy

I was wondering if this is clematis Wilt, or some other problem with the plant, it is in a pot, I water it every day, sometime twice a day with this dry spell.

To much water may hinder oxygen to the roots, the limestone chips in the pot are not a healthy option, most probably compacting the potting media, suggest some orchid bark chips instead.
I can't recall have ever seen 'Nelly Moser suffer from Clematis stem wilt.
Cheers Peer

Post Reply Post Reply