Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How to register a new Clematis name???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to register a new Clematis name???
    Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 8:00pm
Hi,
A few tips to considder:

Anyone can name their own plant, but the name used must not have been used before. It is only really worthwhile registering a plant if it is, significatly better than others of its type, either in flowering period, colour and also if it is of interest to the trade. Also to considder, the first years flowers may be significantly different in it subsequent years, is it hardy, can it be easily vegitavely propogated, being the only way to get true clones.

Be prepared to throw away a few hundred plants before something arrives that is worthwhile.

Best of Luck
sharni07 View Drop Down

Quote sharni07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:33am
Thank you... be many many years before I may get lucky but nice to know how it works. :)
ton_hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton_hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 9:02pm
sharni07 View Drop Down

Quote sharni07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:51am
Hi, can I ask, if you Hybridise a clematis and create a new one ( I can only dream of one day achieving this ) How would I go about registering it's name? And I have heard lots of plants are licensed to their breeders so am I allowed to even do this legally? I would be doing this for my personal pleasure nothing more so even if I managed to create a new clematis one day in the future and registering a name to it, how would I go about sharing it with others? It would be a shame to not be able to share with other clematis lovers should I be lucky enough to create anything that is anywhere near beautiful which is my dream to do before I get old lol.

Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply