Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie question, triaining montana onto hedge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
freebo View Drop Down

Quote freebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie question, triaining montana onto hedge
    Posted: 16 May 2007 at 3:40pm
Hello all,
Sorry for whats probably a really basic question! About 2 months ago I planted a 5 foot montana in front of a part of a laurel hedge which has some large gaps in it, hoping to fill them, the plant is on a cane and has started flowering but isn't really showing any signs of growth, I put some growmore in when I planted it and the cane is still in. Is it just a question of being patient or should I rmove the cane and try to encourage it around the hedge, it seems quite healthy and has 5 or 6 stems. Its in a semi shaded position.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Mike
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 10:19pm
If the plant is young Mike its probably just a question of patience and training - followed by judicious pruning/checking  (because it is a montana and may well/probably be [quite-very] vigorous) in growth in future years. (Personally, I would restrict/use the laurel in favour of the clematis, but that's another story!) You can, with some ongoing work over the years, even train a montana to appear hedge-like, grown by itself, in the right situation. Here is a montana tetrarose.

On a still night when in flower neighbours sometimes  linger and stop because the fragrance is so arresting. Over the years I've had many people ring the doorbell to ask about the plant, or for cuttings.

Edited by bcollingwood - 16 May 2007 at 10:37pm
B. R. Collingwood
joclemy View Drop Down

Quote joclemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:51am
 Hi,

A little ditty someone once told me is

Clematis:-

The first year (after planting) they sleep

The second year they creep

The third year they leap

So the hole in your hedge will fill in just needs a little time. Probably in the case of C.Montana a lot quicker than expected.

Edited by joclemy - 17 May 2007 at 8:51am
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:33am
THe main problem with planting a clematis against an established hedge will be in getting it established. make sure the plant is kept well watered (should not be a problem this month) but in a normal summer a bucket of water a week is not out of the question. After flowereing growth should be rapid. In the case of a clematis growing into a hedge or shrub I always leave the cane in place making sure that the top of the can is tied into the hedge. The cane can then be left in place until it rots away, by this time the clematis should be well established.

In the first year until mid summer take the tips out of any new growth to encourage more shhots to break.

Feed spring and autumn.

Best of luck

Roy Cambridge
 Post Reply Post Reply