Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Mrs Thompson Clematis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crt23 View Drop Down

Quote crt23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mrs Thompson Clematis
    Posted: 26 May 2007 at 1:53pm
Hi I need a bit of help I have 2 mrs Thompson clematis's each in their own pot next to each other.  One of them is growing alot slower than the other but has 2 large buds on it.  The other one is rapidly growing with no buds atall and I have noticed lots of green bugs on the stalk.  Does anyone know what I can do!
Many thanks
Cass
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 10:33pm
Hi Cass,

One of your plants is putting its energy into producing flowers while the other is using it to put on growth. Neither of these characteristics show the plants have any problem, although it is often more beneficial in the long term to get the plant better established before letting it flower.
This particular cultivar unfortunately does not seem to establish as quickly as some of the other Early-flowering Large Hybrids, so I would personally be trying to get the plant established before worrying about the flowers.
It is also a good Idea to pinch out the growing tips to try and get the plant to throw out more shoots lower down, this is better than ending up with one or two stems 8ft tall.
Your green friends sound like aphids, who suck the rising sap from the stems of the clematis causing it eventually to become stunted. It is a good idea to irradicate them at the first opportunity as they multiply at an alarming rate and will soon spread to other plants.
Don't forget as your plants are in containers they rely totally on you for the supply of nutrients they need to grow and flower. I would thus recommend you think seriously about a regimented feeding regime if you do not already do so.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply