Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis in pots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Grannies View Drop Down

Quote Grannies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis in pots
    Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 7:17pm
Hi
Could some one who has experience in growing Clematis in pots help me

Because of ill health I have now to grow things in pots and would like to know what

Variety would grow well in pots

Many thanks
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 10:26pm
i can only answer your question based upon my own experience and perceptions and realise others may have different opinions (unfortunately for you there seems to be none forthcoming at the moment).

In this case it is easier not to be specific as every grower has their own different requirements. Thus it is easier to say most Clematis can be grown in containers (within limitations), although I would steer well clear of the more vigorous types such as the montanas, tanguticas etc.
Semi vigorous clematis will need fairly large pots and would be unsuitable for most where there was a requirement for regular and easy transportation.
The less vigorous in which I would include the large flowered types and most of the relatively lower growing herbaceous or hard pruning forms can be easily grown in containers given the right conditions.

The trick is not how well suited the plant is to a container but more so how the plant is kept in the first place. Pot size, planting medium, siting and aftercare are all vitally important. Done correctly you can choose whichever clematis meets your personal needs (within mentioned limitations) instead of restricting yourself to those specific cultivars that some may quite rightly recommend as growing well in containers in their garden.

Read this before deciding, which should give you good grounding for your clematis.

Clematis in containers should generally be treated as a temporary measure as they will eventually outgrow your pot after two or three years and will soon become pot bound. A regime of repotting or root pruning will need to be carried out to ensure optimum health.

Regards

Grannies View Drop Down

Quote Grannies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 10:28am
Many thanks for your reply
As I not had any previous replies I emailed a clematis retailer
Who has been very helpful as well

I have a few pots but am now struggling to find somewhere to buy the really taller
Pot they all much shorted
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Grannies

Many thanks for your reply

I have a few pots but am now struggling to find somewhere to buy the really taller
Pot they all much shorted

depth of pot are not important, but volume are, just remember Clematis do not like to be in to large a pot, if small plant are placed in middle of large pot (say 8-10litre) they will often drown as there are to little air in the centre, placed along pot edge will overcome that problem.
Suggest you mix some Orchid mix in to improve the water to air ratio.
You can check an old Nelly Moser been grown in a large pot for more than 10 years without repottinghttp://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/clematis/10256-root-matter-clematis.html
Cheers Peer
Ron.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:44pm
Hi
I have grown C.Princess Diana in pots for years , as said do not over pot at first,
as the plant spreads move into larger pots ,  I find most of the Texensis
Hybrids will grow in pots , and will stand nipping out to stop growing too high .
stop in mid summer to allow late flowers to form .  I grow others types of  clematis in pots but they take a lot of looking after . Holidays are a problem unless you have some one to do the watering . Enjoy
Ron.C
Grannies View Drop Down

Quote Grannies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
Thanks Ron I like the Princess Diana so will try that one
Maphil100 View Drop Down

Quote Maphil100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:13pm
Good Morning - Help/advice if possible please. I thought I'd stay on this thread as I realise from reading it there is a lot more to growing Clematis than meets the eye!
I am new to the group and not exceptionally green fingered. A friend bought me a Clematis 'Sunset' and I thought it would look good in a 12x12" clay pot on the side (west facing) of the house so went and fixed a trellis.
However, I read just prior to siting that Clematis don't like their roots too warm. Is there a way that I can still use the  tellis for my Clematis given it will get lots of sun? Are there any techniques I can use to make it work on that wall?

Any advice much appreciated - thanks!

Phil
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Maphil100

I read just prior to siting that Clematis don't like their roots too warm.
Phil

Warm feet are mainly a problem of the Montanas, most others do not mind, it's just an old saying everyone seems to repeat and hard to get out of the system, the most important is that light can't penetrate the sides of the pots.
Cheers Peer

Maphil100 View Drop Down

Quote Maphil100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 1:07pm
Many thanks for your advice!

Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply