Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Old Clematis Advice needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horslec View Drop Down

Quote horslec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Clematis Advice needed.
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm
Hi There,
 I have what looks like a very old Clematis and i am unsure if it has been left to do its own thing for to long or whether i can rescue it and make it look pretty again.
We moved into our house 18 months ago and the garden has lots of lovely plants but perhaps to many and some have been left to take over.
Im trying to tidy everything up and am wondering what to do about this clematis.
The main part of the plant is very well established and its looks like the rest of it is very woody and wirey. (i am completly new to gardening so am trying to learn as i go) The ends have new growth and have just started to flower but over all it looks in a sorry state.

Any advice apreaciated.
Chris

Pictures attatched

Ron.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:03pm
From the look of the plant I would assume that it is a Clematis Montana , I have
cut back at least the of this type of plant , with no lose . There appears that there
is new growth from low down these should replace the growth that is cut back.
I waited until late summer when the plant has finished making growth then make sure the cuts are clean , and can dry quick . In my case the first time this was carried out I had a tree cut down and the man cut through both the tree and
the Clematis , which to my surprise the stems regrew again and is now a well grown Montana . So on the stenth off this I have cut back two other plants which are now growing well
By the look of the plant I would say it is worth the work done ,best of luck
Ron.C
Ron.C
horslec View Drop Down

Quote horslec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:23pm
Ron. Thanks so much for your reply. I think I might try and give it a general tidy up this weekend and a better pruning at the end of summer. Is there anything that you would recommend to feed it as I'm sure it has probably sucked all the goodness out of the soil and may help it through the growing months

Chris
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:06am

I'll definitely suggest pruning hard back (leave new young shoots from low on stem) ASAP if weather is warm or when finished flowering, this will give new growth and flower next spring, keep your tools clean and it may be advisable to cover cut with pruning paste. Always prune Montanas in spring when flowering are finished, otherwise you may loose a seasons flowering.

Cheers Peer

Edited by yaku - 02 May 2012 at 10:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply