FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rmnsuk View Drop Down

Quote rmnsuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie
    Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:55pm
hi,

I have always had a fascination for clematis, but I am no gardener. However I saw some wonderful clematis plants the other day and I'm inspired to try a couple of plants myself. I'd like some advice
I have 2 spots I'd like to try. One is against a south facing fence. The plant can go all over the fence and into the trees behind it. The ground is usually damp. The other is against a fence that is in shadow mostly, maybe a little more damp underfoot. This one can go up the 5ft fence, but theres nowhere else to climb.
I'm thinking of cirrhosa balearica for the first spot and  nelly moser for the second spot. Are these suitable for a beginner? And for these locations?
I'll read up about them of course, but I don't want a disaster on my first attempt just because I chose the wrong plants.

Ray
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 11:52pm
Ray, you need to let us know your zone.  For instance, cirrhosa is not hardy where I live.  As for Nelly Moser, she would be an acceptable choice even in some shade.  Keep in mind that clematis will simply start spilling over the top of their fence and bloom in a rather attractive "cloud," and in warmer zones, Nelly will overreach that 5' fence.

Chalk Hill has some recommended clematis for shade (http://store.chalkhillclematis.com/clematisforshade.html).  Truly bulletproof beginner clematis are generally the pruning type 3's, and Nelly is a type 2, but to get the effect she gives (large flower, pink picotee), you'd have to go with a type 2.

Similar effect, but in a type 3 might be Pink Fantasy, Hagley Hybrid or Marmori.  You can check these out at  http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlistsearch.cfm

The dampness is another issue - most clematis like it moist, but well-drained.  If you're talking about wet in the winter without drainage, that could be bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply