FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Proteus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Linnnaim View Drop Down

Quote Linnnaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proteus
    Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 1:05pm
IGNORE LAST POST ..... Its Proteus not Nelly Moser sorry ........Hi , can anyone help , I bought a proteus late on this year , from a garden centre and planted it september , now I wasn't,t expecting it to do much , but it grew straight away , it's up to about 4ft tall now it's got one giant bud on it and a few smaller ones , it's been like that for a few weeks ... To be honest there has been no sunshine at all here it's just dark and wet ...... Should I wait and see if it flowers or should I prune it now ready for next spring ?? Thanks roy

Edited by Linnnaim - 11 Dec 2012 at 3:34pm
Roy
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 5:13pm
Hi Roy,

Leave it and prune in spring (Feb/March) - it will probably turn brown over winter and the buds will die.
Prune harder than usual as it is it's first year in the ground (down to the first pair of healthy swelling buds above the ground) and pinch out after each foot of growth. The object here is to produce a multi-stemmed plant which will produce more flowers later on. The same time the year after, prune as a group 2 clematis.
Unfortunately this will mean you will probably not get any flowers in May next year - but you will get some single flowers later on in the year.
Double flowered group 2 clematis respond well to regular and good feeding.

Regards
Steve

Edited by schristmas - 11 Dec 2012 at 6:43pm
Linnnaim View Drop Down

Quote Linnnaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 5:33pm
Thanks Steve , that sounds like a great answer , I shall do that .... I,m mainly a rose grower but I've managed to acquire 6 clematis now ?. I,m in my early days so I,m not sure what I,m doing yet , again thanks much appreciated .. Roy
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply