Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
specialk View Drop Down

Quote specialk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone identify this for me?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 8:31pm
Hi! Can anyone help me to identify this one? I've searched clematis on the web and all my books and nursery websites to no avail so your help would be really appreciated. The photo is too big to upload, it has a large white flower, pale lilac bar in centre of tepals (there are 8 of them), crinkly edges (similar to Gillian Blades but tepals more rounded and flower size larger). The anthers are yellow and it is flowering now and last year it flowered again later. The flowers tend to hang downwards and have to be lifted to see them properly. Many thanks, Karen
specialk View Drop Down

Quote specialk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 5:17pm
Ok! I have managed to shrink the picture with help from Callum (15) - Knew there was a purpose to teens! Jon at Thorncroft thinks Gillian Blades, but I have Gillian Blades in the garden and this one has larger flowers is whiter and my Gillian doesn't have the blue bar - he could be right of course, but any other ideas? Thanks, Karen
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 8:51pm
Hi,
I don't know about the identity, but the flower size is impressive, or your hand is small! The first assumption must be true I think. Its a beautiful flower!

Regards,
Jack
specialk View Drop Down

Quote specialk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:19am
Hi Jack! Yes, it is really something, I have large hands actually and this is the largest flower I have ever had on any of my clematis so far. I sometimes wonder if the flowers tend to be a bit smaller up here in Angus because of the cooler climate, but this one is quite impressive. It seems to have more 'petals' than the other GBlades and is a bluer white, my other GB being 'creamier and denser in colour'. Thanks anyway for your interest and compliment. Karen
i.kjaerhus View Drop Down

Quote i.kjaerhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 7:20pm
Maybe Gladys Picard
ingrid
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 8:48pm

Dear Karen,

Try Clematis 'Asagasumi'.

Take note that only the flowers of Clematis 'Asagasumi' in spring are that size with wavy tepals and the blue colouring. Summer flowers are usually plain white and the tepals being smooth.

Wim

Wim S
specialk View Drop Down

Quote specialk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2007 at 2:28pm
Thanks Wim!

Having googled etc. the name you suggested it looks like this might be the right one! I only had first flowers this year, no later ones yet but there's still time for a late show! Thanks very much for helping me out.

Best wishes, Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply