Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Mixed Bunch of Seedlings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
casbon View Drop Down

Quote casbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Mixed Bunch of Seedlings
    Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 7:18pm
Think itshows what good value a packet or two of BCS seeds are
                      Tony Casbon.
Tony Yaxley
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2007 at 11:00pm
Paul,
My results are stable, the images above are from 2006, my plant has produced flowers of very similar form this year. It came to me from Everett Leeds as a seedling of 'Swedish Bells'. The image on COTW is much closer to your flower I think?
Some genetic variation could be expected from self pollination and in this case the variation is certainly small. Most hybrids seem to show much greater variability even with self pollination. I am not knowledgeable in this area but find it extremely interesting.
Regards,
                  Jack
Paul View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2007 at 5:57pm
Jack
I wonder if this is just a seasonal variation. Have you seen the picture on COTW? It would be interesting to hear what other variations have been noticed.
Paul
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 9:50pm
Paul,
Your image of Swedish Bells is interesting and the early production of pollen a good thought to explain its breeding so closely from seed. My own seedling of Swedish Bells certainly compares very closely to yours, the colour is probably identical but with your version the tepals re-curve more fully and attractively than my version.

The buds of this clematis are almost as beautiful as the flowers!

My flower will open more fully than this but will not re-curve appreciably.
Regards,
                  Jack

suzymac View Drop Down

Quote suzymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 4:35pm
Beautiful seedlings, Paul!  The larger flowered  Pangbourne Pink seedling is very interesting and I would think more desirable than it's parent !
Your Westphal Crispa seedling  is perfect!   I  only hope my seedling's blooms will be as lovely.
And the Sweedish Bells seedling .....wow, gorgeous!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 9:25pm
Paul, thanks for the pictures.  Always good to see how your seedlings are going.
Paul View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 12:01pm
Some new seedlings which are flowering for the first time this year, most raised from BCS seed.

A seedling of Pangbourne Pink in the left forefront compared with its parent. It has much larger flowers (spread 10cm) than its parent (5cm) and are less red. The leaves are also much larger (10x5cm versus 6x3.5cm). Height of both plants 60cm. In my garden PP doesn't perform so well and so I'm hoping this seedling will be much more vigourous.

A seedling raised from BCS seed as C. angustifolia but which turns out to be C. mandshurica. Another one is on its way and so hope that will be as labelled.

A crispa Westphal, flowers 3x3cm

A second crispa Westphal with slightly larger flowers with some rain damage. This one is for the compost heap I think.

Pagoda just opening and fully expanded. There are a lot of flowers on this plant but are very small with spread varying from 2-3.5cm. Another one for the compost heap.

A viorna in bud and mature flower which is 2x1.5cm

And lastly, the delightful Swedish Bells. So nice that such a hybrid comes practically true from seed. This is helped by the fact that pollen  is  already produced before the flower opens and at opening the stigmas seem already receptive, leaving little opportunity for foreign pollen to succeed.

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply