Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Help, Black leaves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crt23 View Drop Down

Quote crt23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, Black leaves
    Posted: 01 Jul 2007 at 6:35pm
Hi Everyone

I have 2 clematis in pots and some of the leaves at the top of the plant have got black patches all over them and they have gone quite dry and crispy.  We have had alot of rain over in Sheffield so not sure if this has caused it or if  the problems  have been caused by snails that like to sit in the containers (slug pellets do not seem to be working)!
Please help they were doing so well too : (
Many thanks
(they are the Mrs Thompson type)
suzymac View Drop Down

Quote suzymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2007 at 3:46pm
It sounds as if it could be a  fungus from all the rain you have had.  I would cut off the affected area and hope for a re-bloom in the fall.
Here's a tip for use against snails and slugs which an old farmer taught me.   Sprinkle a light dusting of wood ash over the soil.  It's  very effective  and is also good for the plants.   Snails and slugs hate the stuff.
crt23 View Drop Down

Quote crt23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 10:36am
Many thanks for that.   Any idea if you can buy wood ash from anywhere that might be a really daft question??!
 Post Reply Post Reply