Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Containers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
casbon View Drop Down

Quote casbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Containers
    Posted: 10 Jul 2007 at 7:23pm
I have 6 very large containers which I first planted up 5 years ago (clematis of course!)They have been absolutely brilliant but the clems no longer look happy. I think it is probably time to empty them out and start afresh, I have drilled a large number of drain holes but I suspect that at times they have still been waterlogged
It is my intention to increase the Ratio of grit in the new mixture.Because of the size of the containers this will be quite an expensive business if I purchase the various items in a garden centre.
Suggestions please as to the best ratio, Soil, Compost,and grit and what is the best way to obtain the grit at a reasonable price.
               Tony
Tony Yaxley
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2007 at 10:20pm
Hi Tony.
I had similar problems with containers in the past , and maybe I was lucky but
I found that if a sliced off a cross section of the old soil , in or out of the container  assuming the  the soil is compact enough on a suitable surface .    Not to near the crown about a third of the old soil on replacing the plant fill up with new rich compost , firm and water well .   As most clematis will stand root pruning , if done when the plant is dormant , there is not to much stress , the roots will soon grow into the new compost and and the new next years growth was stronger
I almost forgot be sure to put new crocks in the base of the container, by the way I find putting to much grit if soil makes it tend to clog up , John innings number , three seems to be OK . Then every few years do this to a different section of the root ball .   This is just my experience of the matter , others may have more up to date experience .    Best of luck
Ron.C   
casbon View Drop Down

Quote casbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2007 at 8:53pm
Thank you Ron, I tend to move my container clems into open ground, sometimes this works sometimes not.
I am planning a complete change round.
There are snags with everything although generally I have pretty good luck with my clems With crocks I find a lot of pests gain access through the drainholes and have a great old time breeding amongst the roots.Thanks for your advice.
Are you on Broadband? I have a picture or two I would like you to have alook at if you are.
Tony Yaxley
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 11:50am
Hello Tony
I do not know if you received my e-mail , yes I am on broadband  .  I would love to see your pictures .
All The Best  
Ron.C 
 Post Reply Post Reply