Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Clematis 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Clematis 2007
    Posted: 07 Jan 2008 at 7:24pm
The BCS annual Journal, The Clematis 2007, has now been published and is in the post to all paid-up members, so should be received tomorrow or later in the week. Obviously, a little after this, for overseas members. I very much hope you enjoy it!
B. R. Collingwood
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 2:56pm
Hello to everyone, I am reading the 2007 journal with great interest I have read the article about stem rot, and I understand that certain species of clematis have the ability to shed infected leaves before the fungus can penetrate through the node, I noticed the pictyures of leaves that were infected. Earlier in the year I bought two clematis for a couple of quid "ernest markham" and "elsa Spath". I had read an article by Brian Collingwood that stated failure sometimes happens because clematis are planted out when they are too young. With this in mind I potted them on in ordinary multi mpupose compost and put them in the greenhouse. After reading the 2007 article regarding stem rot, I noticed some leaves on the clematis had similar problems with the ones pictured, I removed these leaves with scissors, however I did leave a little of the leaf stalk still on the plant because i did not want to leave a wound on the stem. I sprayed the plants and compost with cheshunt compound. My question is, am I using an effective fungicide? should I remove the entire leaf stalk right up to the stem? and am I using the right compost? should I be sterilising compost before I use it to pot up clematis?
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 8:54pm
Dear Brian & Digger,

Brian, you did a great job to put such a great Journal together. You spoiled us with this copy, it will make your job for the next Journal very difficult. My sincere compliments for "The Clematis 2007".

Digger, there is so much to write about the subject of 'stem rot'. We are fortunate to have all the articles John Howells published over the years, they are wonderfull source of information.

But I will give you a very simple advice to start with: You have removed leaves with siccors as you write. This means that your hands (or gloves) and your siccors at that moment were, most likely, infected with the spores of the fungi. When you have used the siccors afterwards or touched healthy clematis leaves with your hands there is a great chance you infected them with the fungi. So, when you have worked with infected leaves you need to sterilize your hands and siccors with 70% (not 90%) alcohol (or milk).
However you do not refer to what you have done with the infected leaves I can advise you not to put them on your compost bin. This can be a perfect place for the spores to survive.

Good luck!!

Wim

Wim S
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:09pm
Wim, Thank you very much for your reply, I have disposed of the leaves into the waste bin. There is loads and loads of information that I need to take in.
Helen View Drop Down

Quote Helen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 10:15pm
Brian your amazing, such a huge journal, such a lot of work. Its  a very enjoyable read, well done.
Helen (Sussex UK)
 Post Reply Post Reply