Forum Discription: General chat and help about anything Clematis
Printed Date: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.06 -

Topic: Clematis dioica
Posted By: Wim Snoeijer
Subject: Clematis dioica
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 7:12pm

Dear clematarians,

The species Clematis dioica can not compete with the wonderful range of variations of Clematis connata in either flower colour, leaf shapes and disk sizes, as shown in this forum. But because species from South America or Central America are hardly the subject I will post a few pictures.
I obtained Clematis dioica from Beeches Nursery in the UK in 2006. Unfortunately, no collection number or other references to its origin. Any way, I planted it in the cold greenhouse at the nursery in Boskoop and I pruned the plant hard every late winter to about 50cm above soil level. In 2008 I noticed a few flowers for the first time but this year I was more lucky, a few inflorescences with about 40 flowers or so. The flowers at my plant were very small, about 1 cm across, not fragrant and bisexual.
Of course I sacrificed the stems with the flowers for eternity (herbarium), but to collect the stem I had to climb the ladder. The wire the plant used to grow into goes to the base of the gutter, which is at 4meter, and from there the stems "grow down". I write "used to grow" as the plant is, in the meantime, "deleted".
Best wishes,

Wim S

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.06 -
Copyright ©2001-2007 Web Wiz -