URL: http://www.britishclematis.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=335
Printed Date: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cl.montana Sport
Posted By: Ron.Carlile
Subject: Cl.montana Sport
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:26am
Hello Wim
I was reading a past article in which you requested Ton to let you have material
for your Herbarium , I doubt if you remember , but I sent you some growth
from a Cl.montana that flowered twice a year , some time in the late 90's , the above photo
is a resulting plant from a cutting of a cutting I managed to root from  the
original sport .  The plant flowers back end of August to early September
and if pinched back in spring will give a good number of flowers .  The original plant was destroyed by a workman putting up a new shed , it was broken off
.5 Mt rs high there was a single stem , that pumped sap out like a fountain  , when I complained he said it was a plant and would grow again , which it never did .
 Regards
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Replies:
Posted By: Wim Snoeijer
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:48pm
Dear Ron,
I can remember far away about sending a montana but not sure what I replyed. The picture does not show a montana but the plant looks great. Are you sure it is the same plant?
Best wishes,
Wim

-------------
Wim S

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 5:04pm
Dear Wim
The original plants were two plants that I grew from seed prior to me moving from my previous house , to my present address , two of the Cl.montana  both had flowerer's which were large for this type of plant , One of them had a few five sepal flowers late in the year as well as those in spring .It was supposed that there was two plants together , but when it was broken down there was only one thick stem . I managed to root two cuttings of the late flowering growth , one was not such a good plant but the
other grew well , I had a few cuttings root from the good plant ,  the one in the photo  is a cutting from the next generation of cuttings  . Each set of plants have to me seemed to have had richer colour flowers and maybe a little larger .   The original plants have gone as I explained in the first post.
I only have one Cl.montana left from the seedlings I brought with me here
and that has just a nice pink flower of the usual size for the type .
I have I would say three plants now and the odd cutting that looks as though it has rooted . they grow well in pots or the garden , I just cut them down in spring nip them out when the growth is good enough , and they brighten up the garden . I assure you they are from the same plant as the sample I sent you came from .   I have a white Cl.montana which throws five sepal flowers but to date I have not managed to root any of the shoots ,but will try next time it flowers and will keep on trying
Best Wishes
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 5:23pm
Dear Wim
The silence is deafening , so I gather there is not a lot of belief
I know what I grew it from , so thats all that matters to me .
I will try to upload another weired plant that has in no way any form of it parents but it is there .????
 Its a strange old world
Best wishes from England
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Posted By: Wim Snoeijer
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:07am

Good morning Ron,

Of course I read your message but sometimes it is not easy to understand what to reply.
You seem to be confinced that your plant is a montana. If you join the BCS AGM bring a short piece of stem and we'll see.
With matters like this I can hardly wait for spring, still cold in Holland.
Best wishes,
Wim

-------------
Wim S

Posted By: yaku
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:39am
Hi Ron
as Wim say the flower as well as the leaves are not from a Montana, but from a  lanuginosa/patens  hybrid (not a viticella)
cheers Peer

Posted By: ton hannink
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:55pm
Ron,

I am agree with Wim and Peer.

Ton

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 4:29pm
Yuka and Ton
The plants are dormant at the present , I will wait until they start to grow again
and send a shoot to Wim , and let him have a look , I will  compare them with the one I have still have and compare the leaves .   They were three seedlings I brought from my last house , all flowered in spring , two of them threw the odd
five petal flower in Aug/Sep , which this was a cutting from . ???? I have no intentions of selling or passing this plant of as any thing but a good flowering Clematis . As I have only myself to fool if my facts were not correct , this mail started because I wondered what Wim had done with the sample I sent him some time ago that all . Surly you have come across C.montana that have thrown
five or more petals at some time ?

Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 9:36pm
Hi Ron
I'll suggest you go to this website (< http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlistsearch.cfm>)      and search "montana" and check the pics, you will see none there looks like the one on your pic.
cheers Peer

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:13pm
Hi Yaku
Thanks for your observations , I appreciate your comments , I have a number of
C.montana in my garden , at least six and non of them have flowers any thing
like this one .   I have a white flowering C,montana which throws five sepal flowers most years but I have not managed to root a cutting from the flowering
shoot , but if it flowerer this year I will have another try . If I can locate a photo
I will post to show you.
Ron.C 

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:16am
Hi Peers
further to my mail 9inst here are the photo I said I would post.
Here is another one
and this is the C.montana they were growing on last April .
I just hope I can root a cutting from it this year , but just shows I have some weird plants.  Let you know if successful
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:29pm
Hi Peers
I have just counted around a dozen double Cl.montana flowers on the white
clematis as last year , they are the same so I have not posted them . I cannot see any cutting material now but it may come later . May try to pollinate from two five sepel flowers and try from seed , and trust to luck . if you wish to see the flowers photo I will mail them to you .
Best Regards
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:08pm
Hello Wim and Peers
I had a look today to see if there was any growth from the clusters for cutting material that the five Sepal flowers were on .Non unfortunately .  However I did cross fertilize the Five Sepal flowers with each other , out of the five I did three have one seed on and one has a full seed head , I did not count the number of seeds on it , in another week or so I will if nothing had disturbed them collect and sow . It will be interesting to see the out come of the cross , it will be at least two years befor there are results , I just hope the time has been worth it .
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm

Dear Wim
above is a photo of the seed head on the five sepal  White C.montana which I showed photo's of before , there are not many montana leafs showing as the
plant is growing in among Brambles , there are two heads of seed but are the same . On the single sepal plants the seeds are single or at the most 3 seeds .
 I hope to be able to germinate these seeds and with luck  and produce 5
sepal montana . There are no suitable shoots to take and  root .

Now to the 5 sepal pink plants , did you say you would like to have some stems
of these plants. if so would you please advise me where you would have them sent too , and requirements of plant material you would have .

Best Regards
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:38am
[QUOTE=Ron.Carlile]

Ron The discussion was about this picture , which is NOT a Montana (but a lanuginosa / patens hybrid), all the other pics are clearly montanas, double or semi double montanas are not unusual
Cheers Peer

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 12:06pm
Peer's
I assure you I have no C.lanuginosa in my garden , the only C.patens is one I grew from a seed ex Nelly Moser , and further I do not grow clematis for sale only for my own pleasure. So I am only fooling myself if no one else believes me . I am not trying to sell it as a Montana hybrid .
It is a pity there is no DNA for clematis only experience
Above is the C.patens , it is on a good flower 18/20 Cm across and flowers
in July/Aug , Like most white flowers the sepals turn brown . 
The Pink clematis does not start to flower until the end of Aug and is at its best in September / Oct .  I have never yet had any seeds form on it .
It is just out of interest that I would like to establish its origin as a montana sport , I have just seen Wim has posted a plant that  has two colours from
what looks like a double stem , so any thing is almost possible in the clematis
family. I was going to post one of the freaks I have grown but thats another tale.
Regards
Ron.C

-------------
Ron.C

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Ron.Carlile

It is a pity there is no DNA for clematis only experience
Regards
Ron.C

Ron , there are no need it can be seen by chromosomes numbers and other characters, wherever the pink summer flowering come from it's NOT a Montana sport or having any montana in it, may well be a stray seedling

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2007 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com